Richard Bowen Jones as rector supervised the restoration of Castle Dwyran church in 1879. The churchyard was tidied and a stile was demolished. A Standing stone near the stile was removed and taken to a field in the front of Gwarmacwydd house as a cattle rubbing post.
In 1895 , eight years after RBJ’s death, the whitewash which had covered the stone had faded and his daughter Miss Caroline Bowen Jones, who inherited Gwarmacwydd, recognised an inscription on the stone.
A Latin inscription "MEMORIA VOTEPORIGIS PROTICTORIS" was on the face of the stone, and an Irish inscription Votecorigas written with Ogam letters on the edge of the stone.
It is believed that the stone was a memorial to Vortipor, King or protector of Demetia (modern Pembrokeshire, Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire), who lived approximately AD475-540.
A powerful man.
Is it possible that with his classical education RBJ had an inkling of the stones significance and rather liked the thought that such an important memorial to a local powerful king was in front of his house.
In 1921 Caroline gave the stone to Carmarthen Museum, where it remains.
In 2014 a replica was erected in Llanfallteg village – just outside the Millennium Hall.Historical account of the Vortipor Stone